Sunday, November 26, 2017

Jingle Bird Quilt: A New Start

My cousin really likes birds. A few years back I made her this bird quilt for her sunroom, which was a big hit. It's not quite the right color scheme for christmas time though, so she requested I make her something more appropriate for holiday decorating.

We scoured the web for bird christmas quilt patterns, and finally happened on this Block of the Month quilt that Erin Russek did back in 2013.

http://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-piece-at-a-time/jingle-bom/
We're going to make a few changes - first of all, more birds! So there will be less of the quilt block blocks and more of the appliqued bird blocks. Also, the color scheme will be a little less green and more turquoise. I have some ideas for a different block layout too, so we'll see how that goes.


These applique blocks are not easy! I finished my first one last week, and it took me about 4 hours to make one. Yeesh! I still have to add little berries to the ends of all the leaf stems, but overall I think these are the cutest things. I'm hoping to finish this in time for christmas of 2018.

1 comment:

  1. What a lucky cousin!!!! It will be gorgeous & can hardly wait to see what kind of birds you make for the blocks. Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete