Thursday, August 28, 2014

From the Archives: Free as a Bird


I wanted to share some of my favorite quilts I've made before I started blogging, and first up is one I finished earlier this spring. This was for a well-loved family member who has a thing for birds. After searching google for "Bird Quilts", I discovered this pattern, from Abbey Lane Quilts that seemed just right.

The pattern was easy to follow with clear instructions. It was also fat-quarter friendly, and I was able to pull most of the fabric needed from my stash. The only thing I did differently was to use bias tape instead of the rick-rack for the branches. I tried the rick-rack and just didn't like the way it looked. The bias tape seemed cleaner and more sophisticated.
Selections of fabrics
I quilted it in an all-over spiral, and this was the first time I tried that design. Now I love it and am in danger of using it for everything!
Appliqued birds, branches, and leaves
The Abbey Lane designers asked me to send them a picture of the quilt once it was finished, and it was so fun to be able to do that - I'm sure it's cool for them to see people making their designs, but it was also cool for me to hear words of praise from the designers as well! Even more importantly, the receiver of this quilt seems to love it, which is most gratifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment