Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Wednesday WIP: Dancing Quill

This was the Craftsy July mystery quilt that I'm just getting around to doing. Obviously, it's not such a mystery at this point, but that's a good thing because, my goodness - what a mess this whole thing was!

The fabric designer Valori Wells designed this quilt, using her new fabric line "Quill", and maybe fabric designers just aren't such great pattern writers or something.

First of all, Craftsy told everyone the pattern was ready before it was actually posted, so all thousands of us rabid mystery-quilters were furiously scouring the website trying to figure out where it was and pestering customer service. Then, when it was finally released and we could begin, the measurements were wrong. Then a corrected version was posted, only that one was also wrong. Then, they took the whole thing down for two weeks and told everyone to hold off on beginning until they could get it straightened out. But by then lots of people had already started, and were discovering they were short on fabric, and because the measurements were wrong, their blocks were turning out all goofy. And poor Valori Wells was stuck trying to answer everyone's questions about why they didn't get enough fabric and how come this whole thing was such a mess?


So then, Craftsy took Valori Wells off the project and assigned some other Craftsy employee to handle the whole thing. So now the instructions are correct, but people are still confused if the version they have is the right one, and whether the person they're emailing is Valori Wells or someone else, and everyone is giving everyone else contradictory advice on how to make this darn quilt.

After sitting back and observing this whole debacle, I'm finally diving in to start cutting my fabric. Right away, I can see where everyone's frustrations are coming from. The whole quilt is made up of equilateral triangles of two different sizes, so the whole thing is on the bias. I've never dealt with such vague instructions and I'm someone who generally know what I'm doing, so I can't imagine doing this if I was a beginner, and that's who this was marketed to!

So, we shall see...the fabric is pretty though, yes?

On a different note, I'm very proud of myself for figuring out how to cut equilateral triangles with my normal ruler using the 60 degree markings. It makes me happy to know I can do this without investing in a whole separate ruler or template.

5 comments:

  1. So which measurements for strips are you using? I'm confused by the comments and not know which version of instructions I have as well. So some say strips 4 1/2 etc and others say strips 4 3/4 I may have to resort to paper trial pieces and math!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! The PDF pattern that is posted, IS correct. The strips for the small triangles should be 4 3/4, and the large ones are 8 3/4. Good luck! It really is fun to work on once you get going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,
    Do you still have the pattern instructions? Apparently, I bought the quilt kit a couple of years and i remember studying the pattern, but I must not have put it back. Now it's lost and I can't seem to find the pattern to download. If you are willing to share your pattern with me, please email me at andreaquilts@shaw.ca

    Thanks so much,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you still need the pattern, email me at nancymno@gmail.com.

      Delete
  4. I made this quilt. Just need to attach binding. Craftsy refunded the cost of the kit because I ran short on a couple fabrics and had to find more on the Internet and purchase . Andrea, do you still need the pattern ?

    ReplyDelete