Friday, April 17, 2015

Friday Finish: Miss Kate's Turnover


Well, this one was a struggle, but I'm glad I buckled down and finished it.

I learned a few things along the way - the main one being that sometimes trying to avoid something (the pattern writer wanted the look of curved piecing without actually doing curved piecing) makes things more complicated and difficult then if you just went and did the thing you're trying to avoid. In other words, face your fears. Curved piecing? Not very easy, but a hell of a lot easier than making this pattern.


Anyhoo, I actually like the quilt. I wish it was bigger for all that work and effort I put into it! I considered adding a few borders, or experimenting with sashing between the blocks to increase the size, but in the end I just decided to be done with it.


The backing is a FreeSpirit print from some designer I don't remember - it was on the $2.99 rack at SR Harris. I quilted it in squiggly lines, just quick and simple.

4 comments:

  1. Hi - I am working on this quilt and it appears there are still problems with the pattern. It shows the 8 outer blocks should measure 19 1/4 inch, while the center C block should measure 18 inches - how in the world do you put those blocks together if they are different sizes? Is that the problem you had with the pattern as well? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...I see what you're talking about in the pattern but somehow I don't remember it being an issue and it turned out fine. Sorry, not super helpful I know!

      Delete
  2. Help! I have the quilt kit, but can't seem to find the pattern. Is this a pattern online or is it paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa - When I bought the kit on Craftsy the pattern automatically downloaded into my Craftsy pattern library online. Have you checked there?

      Delete