Monday, April 18, 2016

Make it Simpler Monkey Wrench


I signed up for Anita Grossman Solomon's new Craftsy class called "Quick Techniques for Classic Blocks". I've taken previous classes with her, and I like her unique out-of-the box way of looking at things and her clever short-cuts. She does lots of relatively simple things, but with innovative techniques.

Anita's new class is all about these patterns she's developed called "Cutting Lines Patterns". You print off a pattern sheet, slap it over two fabric squares, sew on the marked sewing lines, then cut it apart on the marked cutting lines, and you have a block! The big plus of this is that you don't have to pre-cut any fabric pieces before you sew them together and your sewing is extremely accurate - no worrying about varying quarter-inch seams.


I was excited to try all this, so I printed off a bunch of Anita's Monkey Wrench patterns and went to town over the weekend. It was weird at first, because it felt like I was missing some major steps in the quilting process. I went right from picking out fabrics to sewing them - no cutting in between. It almost felt like I was getting away with something, and it was fun!


I sewed 42 blocks in the span of a few hours over the weekend, and now I just need to cut them all apart and play with the layout a little bit.

If you want to give this a try, Anita has made the Monkey Wrench pattern available on her blog for free. One sheet is instructions, and the other is the pattern. This way of sewing is absolutely foolproof!

No comments:

Post a Comment