Sunday, March 22, 2020

Rabbit Hole


Last month I signed up for Satsuma Street's Mystery Cross Stitch stitch-along, mainly because it was Alice in Wonderland-themed, and I love that story. The first week was stitching all the black and white borders, the 2nd week we added the flower corners. Last week, my first week of Corona Isolation, I stitched Alice tumbling down the rabbit hole - a perfect metaphor for how I feel right now.

Ironically, my vertigo has also decided to act up a bit in the last few days as well. My vertigo usually rears its head in the spring for some reason, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was somehow a stress response to everything going on right now. I've had a couple people tell me they've experienced chest pains or panic attacks. Am I just going to become literally dizzy with stress? I've  been able to ward off having a full-on attack so far by doing my PT inner ear exercise routine and being REALLY careful when getting out of bed, so fingers crossed it'll go away. Because NOW IS NOT THE TIME for this shit.

You know what is surprisingly helpful? Arnold Schwarzenegger sternly telling us to stay home while sharing carrots with his rescue donkey's Lulu and Whiskey. "That's all ve do now. Ve don't go out, ve don't go anyvhere, ve just stay home and eat vith Vhiskey and Lulu!"

Also helpful? Steve Martin playing a nice song to us on his banjo out in the woods somewhere. It made me cry AND want to play the banjo, both very surprising. It also made all those celebrities singing "Imagine" look like a bunch of idiots.

Not helpful? Celebrities continuing to plug whatever products they're contracted to endorse. Nobody wants to buy your stupid expensive whisky right now (and as someone who buys stupid expensive whiskies, that's saying something) or your amazing skincare line. Quit with the selling, it's not a good look.

In case you can't tell, I'm spending an enormous amount of time online scrolling. For some reason, my attention span is struggling with settling down to read or even watch TV.  I'm planning on exercising a bit more self-discipline this coming week by curtailing my screen time and maybe going out for a walk and eating a vegetable now and then. Steve Martin strumming his banjo can only take me so far, I get that.

No comments:

Post a Comment