Friday, November 18, 2016

Not exactly a Friday Finish


So, the last couple weeks have been weird. The election happened, and I've been feeling a little disoriented and depressed ever since. Lots of people have written about the importance of creativity and self-expression during trying times, and I agree with them in theory. But I've just wanted to curl up in jammies and self-medicate with chocolate, trashy novels, and netflix.


One thing that has been therapeutic in probably a healthier way has been embroidery. Something about slow stitching and simply following the lines has been very helpful in allowing me to gradually process the fact that we elected a KKK-endorsed, misogynistic, criminally incompetent, internet troll of a man to lead the country.

The quote above by Arthur Ashe is helpful, as is the hanukkah menorah, reminding me that there is still dazzling light in this world and replenishment for the depleted. In the meantime, I'm putting one foot in front of the other - or in this case, one stitch after the other...slowly and carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment