Friday, December 2, 2016

Friday Finish: Monkey Wrench


Well Hellooooo! I'm alive, but phew - it's been a rough couple of weeks. I was struck down by some hellish virus...first it was a cold, then it was a flu, then it was a sinus infection, then it was a migraine. It was the kind of sickness where you lose hope of ever feeling good again, but at long last I'm on the mend.

So sewing hasn't been happening much. Every now and then I'd hobble into my sewing room, plop down and stare at my machine for awhile and then hobble back to the sofa. That was about it.


Finally, when I started feeling better on Tuesday I figured I could at least finish up the binding on the Monkey Wrench quilt. I was excited to take a picture, but it's MN, so this happened:


When the sleet let up, I quickly dashed outside with the quilt, determined to get a photo for Friday Finish - first one in FOREVER!

This was made using Anita Grossman-Solomon's Sew-on-the-Lines technique that I wrote about here. It's a fun way to put blocks together, but I don't know that it saves time in in the long run. For me, the pluses were great accuracy with little effort, and not having to cut all the fabric pieces - you just take two squares of fabric and slap them together to make the block, and it gets cut apart after you sew the lines.

I quilted it in a figure 8 pattern, which is quick and easy. The backing is an orange floral from Connecting Threads, and I inserted a strip of leftover scraps of fabric from the front into it just for fun.

This is a large lap quilt/baby quilt size, and so far isn't earmarked for anyone in particular. It'll go on the stack in my linen closet until it finds a good home.


No comments:

Post a Comment