Thursday, September 28, 2017

Basting Dreaming


Finally, the 6th quilt in the "Finish 6 Quilts" initiative! I picked this one to work on, because like "Pointy", the top has been finished for awhile now and it just feels good to move some of those projects on and be DONE with them.

This quilt is made entirely from batik fabrics, and batiks have a much tighter weave to them than normal quilting cotton. This makes pushing the basting pins through them a bit more challenging, and my poor fingers are hurting as a result!


Look at the "frankenstein" batting for this one! I pieced it entirely out of batting scraps from other quilts. I just sew them together on my machine using a big basting stitch and a tiny barely-there seam allowance. This is frowned on, as the seams cause a ridge that could theoretically be seen, felt, noticed in quilts...but I've found that the bulk from the seams in the quilt top hides any bulk from batting seams. Would I do this for a show-quilt or something extra special? No! But for my regular everyday quilts, this works just fine. Batting isn't that cheap...might as well use it all up!

No comments:

Post a Comment