Friday, September 29, 2017

Friday Finish: Pointy


Well, here it is a week later than it was supposed to be! I finished this up before I left for Atlanta, but only managed to get a picture of it a couple days ago.

This is an Elizabeth Hartman design, and it uses her signature elements of strong graphic design, solid colors, and a linen background. This was fast to sew together, but then languished in my "to-be-quilted" drawer for almost two years! I'm glad I finally finished it up, because I really think this is a cool quilt.


I quilted it in a meandering geometric squares design that I seem to use on my more "modern" quilts - something about the straight angles seems to suit these types of quilts more than my loops or swirls. The backing is a Jill Gordan print that I've had for awhile. I wasn't sure how the floral would work with the solids in the front, but I think it turned out fine.

The linen/cotton blend used as the background is a little heavier than regular cotton, so this quilt has some nice heft to it...perfect for the cooler MN weather coming our way!

2 comments:

  1. Great Job!! It still amazes me that you get that size quilt quilted free hand on your machine. Do use the large free hand quilting machine that you took lessons on much?? Or just wanted the experience & knowledge of that type of machine?? Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aunt Karen! I'd love to use to Long Arm machine more, but it adds another $75 or so to the cost of the quilt. This is already an expensive hobby, so I try and pinch pennies where I can by doing the quilting myself. I can fit a queen sized quilt pretty comfortably through my Juki machine, but anything bigger than that I think I'd spend the money and have it long-armed.

    ReplyDelete