Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Recipe Time: Goulash

https://www.theseasonedmom.com/grandmas-one-pan-hamburger-helper/
I haven't been able to get much sewing done this week, so it's time for a recipe posting instead! This one is courtesy of my friend Angela, who found this when she googled "What to make with hamburger". The official title of this is called "Grandmas One Pot Hamburger Helper", but Hamburger Helper has never been very appealing to me, so I'm renaming this one Goulash.
It seems that every family in MN has a Goulash recipe (none of which bear any resemblance to the real dish from Hungary). They all involve pasta, tomato sauce and meat. My mom's version was made with venison from my dad's annual deer hunt, and ketchup. No offense to my mom, but I've just never really craved her goulash, so I'm happy to now have my own version.

This is one of those easy skillet dinners that come together in about 20-30 minutes, no muss-no fuss. I did make a few changes to the original inspiration recipe, so I'm just reprinting my version below.

Goulash - Serves 4

  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 1 c. water
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • 1 c. dried pasta (you can use elbow noodles, or whatever spiral shape you want. I used egg noodles)
  • 1/2 c. tomato paste (or whatever's in one of those small cans)
  • 1 t. chili powder
  • 1 T. worcestershire sauce
  • Dash of hot sauce
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 1 c. shredded cheese (cheddar, colby, whatever)
Saute the beef, onion and garlic in a large skillet until browned. Drain and add the water, broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil and simmer. This has to simmer for a total of 20 minutes, so when you add your pasta depends on how long it has to cook for. For instance, my egg noodles needed to cook for 8 minutes, so I added them after the sauce had been simmering for 12 minutes already. Keep an eye on the liquid levels - if it looks too dry, add more water or broth and if it looks to soupy, turn up the heat and boil it a little longer. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle on the cheese and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment