Monday, March 30, 2015

Quilting the Trifle Dish

I really went to town over the weekend and have the quilting just about finished on the Trifle Dish quilt. I think some of my rows are more successful than others, but this was supposed to be a practice exercise, so overall I'm happy with how things are turning out.

For the Orange Peel row, I did a sort of Baptist Fan design, free-hand. I love Baptist Fan's when I see them on other quilts, and this was just enough of a sampling to make me want to explore the design further.

The Pinwheel row was done in a Christina Cameli design called "Wibbly Wobbly". This was fun and easy to do, but my wibbly's look more like creepy crawly fingers to me.

 For the Jewel Block row, I just did some gently undulating rows of stars. Pretty straight-forward.

My Posie Blocks row was a bit of a struggle. I was trying to duplicate a sort of loopy flower I saw somewhere like this:


But I ended up with these sad things instead! They're not terrible, just SO not what I had in mind. This would have been a case where practicing on some scraps might have been a good idea. Oh well. Moving on...

The Sponge Roll layer was a fun one. I love the look of pebbling, but it's not easy to do, takes forever, and uses thread like you wouldn't believe. I decided to just do it on a section of each block, and didn't it turn out nice? I filled in the rest of each block with squiggles.

And finally, for the Butterfly and Four Patch row, I did a geometric meander. This is much harder for me than a stipple or curvy designs - something about those right angles are tricky to get right.

Now I just have the border to finish up, and then this baby is finally done!

No comments:

Post a Comment