Thursday, February 11, 2016

Superstar


I've had a busy couple of weeks with not a lot of time for sewing. A little while back I ordered the supplies to make this fun bright quilt and I was finally able to sit down to start sewing it over the last few days. There's something SO GREAT about untying a bundle of fabric or a jelly roll, unfurling each piece to iron it, admiring the patterns and colors up close. It's energizing and soothing, all at the same time.


This quilt is made up of of large stars, small stars and chevron blocks. Instead of constructing the stars with flying geese units, the pattern just uses two half-square triangles sewn together. I was annoyed by this at first, since I like sewing Flying Geese, but now I'm kind of a fan. You eliminate lots of waste for one thing, but also half-square triangles are nice mindless sewing, which is just what the doctor ordered for my over-loaded brain these days.


I've completed the large star blocks, and will start with the small ones next. They're basically the same, except a little four-patch is in the center instead of the stripes.

No comments:

Post a Comment