Friday, January 12, 2018

Friday Finish: Preppy Whales


This quilt has been earmarked for a friend's baby...and when I realized that friend is having her baby next week I knew it was time to scramble and get this one finished up and out the door!

I holed up in my sewing room over the weekend and completed it by Sunday night. That's the nice thing about baby sized quilts - they're small! Basting took all of 20 minutes, and I quilted it in figure 8 loops, which I think is the fastest thing for me to quilt.


I was a little concerned about how the quilting would go, as the grey background material is a pima cotton. It's very densely woven, and I was worried that I'd have to deal with lots of thread breaks and frustration, but as it turns out - not a one! I also used two layers of cotton batting for extra coziness, and my machine did just fine with all that.

The backing is a Riley Blake print of lots of colored gears that I just liked, and the binding is a sort of variegated navy blue. Mom seemed to love this one - I hope baby will too!

No comments:

Post a Comment