Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Nothing to do with Quilts


" Up until that time I had not seriously doubted the rightness and especially the truthfulness of Gilead’s theology. If I’d failed at perfection, I’d concluded that the fault was mine. But as I discovered what had been changed by Gilead, what had been added, and what had been omitted, I feared I might lose my faith.

If you’ve never had a faith, you will not understand what that means. You feel as if your best friend is dying; that everything that defined you is being burned away; that you’ll be left all alone. You feel exiled, as if you are lost in a dark wood. It was like the feeling I’d had when Tabitha died: the world was emptying itself of meaning. Everything was hollow. Everything was withering."


 - The Testaments by Margaret Atwood

Margaret effing Atwood is a genius. Her sequel to The Handmaid's Tale is controversial, with lots of people saying it's not needed, not necessary. I'll just say, I really needed this.

That's all. Back to sewing now!

No comments:

Post a Comment