Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Quilting Spools


I've had my scrappy spool quilt basted and ready to be quilted for months now, and I decided to start tackling it over the weekend. Once I spread it out and took a good look at it, I realized that I wasn't happy with some of my color choices for the spool bases. I used a lot of black fabric leftover from a Jinny Beyer project, and I just didn't like how it looked with the blue pastel background and other colors. So, I decided to change them


This is rare for me. I don't like going back and re-doing things, and I usually just go with whatever I've got and convince myself I like it. But for some reason, this irritated me enough to actually fix it! There was no way in hell I was going to take apart the quilt, especially after it was already basted, so I decided to applique new pieces right over the offensive parts. This worked really well for about 90% of the blocks! If you look really closely, you can see some dark bits underneath some of the new bases, but true to form, I've convinced myself I'm ok with that.

I'm quilting this in a sort of double tear-drop pattern, which I've only done once before, so it's a little not so good. I keep forgetting I'm doing tear drops and morph them into spirals, so this is a mash-up of the two. I think it works just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment