Friday, January 15, 2016

Quilting the Scrappy Strings & Moroccan Tiles quilts

It's time to start making a dent on my pile of finished quilt tops, and I decided to start with something easy and low-key. It also helped that these two tops were the last ones I finished before I moved, so they was at the top of the pile!


I quilted the Scrappy Strings top with my walking foot in diagonal rows about an inch apart. I didn't mark anything, I just eyeballed it, so things are a little wonky and non-precise. Juki machines are known to have walking feet that are loud and clunky, but mine was being good and didn't give me any trouble. There was something nice and brainless about just doing straight(ish) rows, just running my quilt through the machine over and over again.


For the Moroccan Tiles quilt, I decided to do an all-over spiral pattern, one of my old stand byes. I really love quilting in spirals. I think it's because I've always had a thing for labyrinths, and quilting them seems just as meditative as actually walking in one. The thread was a quandary - doing a navy shade to blend in with the background would then stand out in the actual blocks too much, and I didn't want to switch between different thread colors. I decided on using a variegated purple thread, which seems to be a nice mix of standing out and blending in. I'm about 2/3 of the way through.

I think these two will be my first finishes of the year, and they'll hopefully be ready for next Friday Finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment