Friday, March 17, 2017

Inspiration

What is it about daylight savings time? One little hour changes, and I'm knocked on my ass every night barely able to keep my eyes open over dinner and an rerun of "Friends". There hasn't been much sewing happening, what with the 8 pm bedtime and all!

One thing I wanted to write about was that Quilt Con happened a couple weeks ago. This is the annual quilt show put on by the The Modern Quilt guild, and anyone who's anyone enters quilts and goes to the show. I've never been, because they're always in inconvenient places, but I look forward to seeing the winning quilts and hear all about the goings-ons on social media.

In previous years the "Best in Show" winner has been controversial, but I haven't heard a single peep about this year's choice. It is amazing, plain and simple: 

bling - Pieced and quilted by Katherine Jones
I keep looking at this quilt - looking at the colors, looking at the shapes, looking at how it was pieced together, looking at it up close and far away. It's mesmerizing!

Another entry I just loved was Chawne Kimber's "Autumn is Wistful". It didn't win any awards, but it's another one I find myself going back to again and again. It's powerful. These quilts are completely different, made with different materials and different techniques, but both are considered modern quilts.

"Autumn is Wistful" - pieced and quilted by Chawne Kimber
I don't consider myself a "Modern" quilter as it's typically defined (and believe me, trying to define this has been the subject of tons of controversy over the past five years). Just like the books I read, the quilts I make I consider eclectic - some hallmarks of modern quilting I don't use at all, like improvised piecing or minimalism or use of negative space. Others I use all the time, like solid fabrics, straightline quilting, and making quilts that are functional.

I'm OK not really fitting in with any particular movement or group (story of my life!), and I love the fact that inspiration can be drawn on from multitudes of sources and people and styles. The world of quilting is a big one, and my horizon's are constantly being expanded by both the past and the future. I'd encourage you to look at the rest of this years winners - it's a treat!

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear!! I looked, I saw.......nothing that knotted my thread!! I must be a traditionalist!! I like the old fashioned quilts!! You have made some interesting quilts & some traditional ones that reminded me of Gram & the old days.......the "best of show" was really interesting.....don't know how they kept track of where they were in that design. Interesting. Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete