Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Wednesday WIP: Hopscotch...and a lovely new ruler

This Hopscotch Quilt is designed by Amy Smart, and was a kit I purchased from Craftsy (of course). After reading through the directions and seeing that most of the top is constructed from half-square triangles, I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a special ruler. Normally I try to avoid accumulating lots of different rulers and gadgets, but I really struggle when it comes to squaring up half square triangles, and after seeing Amy write about this ruler on her blog, I couldn't resist.


I've written about Eleanor Burns before, and how much I love her. And now, after using her ruler, I love her even more. You determine what the final size of your block will be, and put that number on the seam line of your unopened half square triangle. Two simple cuts, and thats it. You open it up, and viola! A perfectly squared block.

I couldn't believe how fast and effortlessly I was able to square up my blocks, all 160 of them. Something that would have normally taken hours took me only 45 minutes! And it was actually kind of fun!

This ruler cost me $16, and is worth every single penny. Half square triangles are no longer my nemesis!

No comments:

Post a Comment