Friday, January 16, 2015

Farmers Wife, First Few Blocks


The Farmers Wife quilt is on my to-do list for 2015. This is a sampler quilt, with 111 blocks. In 1922, the Farmers Wife magazine posed this question: "If you had a daughter of marriageable age, would you, in light of your own experience, have her marry a farmer?" The magazine received over 7000 responses, and the best answers to this question are included in the book, along with the traditional quilt blocks they inspired.


The instructions in the book utilize templates, but since these blocks are TINY, some clever people have put together paper-pieced patterns, which is what I've been using so far. I've been using scraps, and I don't really have much of a color scheme at this point. We'll see how it comes together. My goals is to do a few of these a week. Here are my first attempts:



No comments:

Post a Comment