Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Wednesday WIP: Postage Stamp

I became slightly enamored with the idea of a postage stamp quilt about 2 years back, after seeing one somewhere. Something about the idea of little 1 inch squares of material all sewn into a quilt...well, for whatever reason I liked that. Maybe it's because normal people throw away their 1 inch squares, but I don't like to throw away fabric. Of any size.

Thank goodness, I also had sense enough to realize that sewing all those little squares into little rows, and then sewing the little rows together, and making all the seams match was an exercise in crazy-making, so that was one project I didn't start (surprising, I know).

Until I discovered Elizabeth Hartman's blog and the method she wrote about on using grid fusible interfacing to make postage stamp blocks. Ah-ha.

The theory is that you arrange your fabric squares on the interfacing, and iron them in place.


Then you flip it over and sew on the lines in both directions. Sewing on lines is so easy a monkey could do it.


Then you cut your seams open and press them.


Voila. A perfect postage square block, with precise matching seam intersections.


I've been slowly working on my blocks for over a year now and just discovered that I have 13 of them. I'm going to sew three more and then sew it all together and be done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment